Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop User CAL License
Need help determining your licensing scenario? Take a look at the guide below:
Windows Server Licensing Guide
*This product includes 20 RDS User CALs
Windows Server 2016 has solved graphics needs across various scenarios. For example, you can now map GPUs on a host machine directly to a virtual machine to be consumed by its GPU-requiring applications, all in thanks to Hyper-V’s Discrete Device Assignment. Improvements have also been made in RemoteFX vGPU, including support for OpenGL 4.4, OpenCL 1.1, 4k resolution, and Windows Server virtual machines.
User or Device CAL? How to choose:
- User CAL – Grants all 20 of your users the right to access the terminal server concurrently from any of their devices including their workstation in the office, laptop/desktop at home, or mobile device.
- Why User CAL?
- It will be more cost effective if you have more devices than users. Only 1 user CAL would be required to cover “X” number of devices.
- User CALs are Trusted Tech Team's recommendation. They're cheaper to license and offer more flexibility.
- Device CAL – Grants a specific device the ability to access the terminal server such as a workstation in the office or a tablet used to take customer orders.
- Why Device CAL?
- It will be more cost effective if you have numerous users who all access the same device to remote into the server. This method is typically seen in medical offices or warehouses in which the same device has more than one user throughout the day. You will only need to purchase one CAL for each device instead of numerous user CAL for each user.
Whichever solution you choose, you have another layer of flexibility when it comes to content that is published to your users:
Desktop: Your IT admin will be able to push any applications, folders, and documentation onto each user's session. All sessions have the ability to include or exclude any content. This method is preferred if your users are going to be utilizing their remote session as their primary workstation.
RemoteApps: Preferred if you want to host your applications on a virtual machine as if they're directly on your user's desktops. Typically used when you want to manage applications in a secure, remote environment.
For more information regarding the Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop CAL License, contact us at (855) 202-8140 or support@TrustedTechTeam.com.